Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Ode to the IUD

I feel the need to share my love of the past birth control I was using. It's funny because I've been asked by so many all sorts of crazy questions concerning them so here's to clearing the air and giving a good name to the IUD. First off, I actually had the copper IUD, the one that lasts for 10 years. I did this because there are absolutely no hormones involved, I mean who needs them anyways? My doctor even warned me ahead of time that getting the copper one meant really painful, heavy periods and she really didn't recommend it. She would have rather given me the Mirena which does have hormones. I basically didn't care, I just did not want the hormones. And guess what, it was totally perfect. I don't know if I should chalk this up to never having really bad periods to begin with, but they didn't change hardly and I was pretty comfortable for the most part. The one difference I noticed was that I could all the sudden tell exactly when I was ovulating, it got a little painful and crampy at times. That only last for 4 or 5 months though and after a while I had to remind myself it was there. If you ask me, that's awesome birth control. The kind that doesn't mess with anything. And different people warned me that when I started trying to get pregnant with #2 I probably wouldn't be ovulating for some time since supposedly IUD's stop ovulation. False, they don't. I got pregnant the first time I ovulated after getting it removed, which was that month. And the insertion and removal is a piece of cake. And the best part is, they are the most effective form of birth control. And when you do want to get pregnant, you get to make that choice and you physically have to go to the doctor and ask for it, which was kinda funny. Can I have sleepless nights, weight gain, leaky boobs, extra stress, oh and...the best gift ever! I guess since Ollie was unexpected, it was funny for us to ask, are we ready for 2 kids!!! Are you ever really ready? Nope. But do you still want it and know it's perfect. Yep. So anyways, if you are in between kids, haven't started or whatever, IUD's are great if you're looking at a few years. Highly recommended. Hmmmm, I think I'll have another put in right after this little babycakes pops out.

10 comments:

Sara said...

Amen. Amen. Amen. It's almost too good to be true. love it!

Brent and Nicole said...

That's funny, I have been researching this option because I am not really liking being on the pill. But they said that it was better to do if you had already had a kid. Also that it was really expensive to get put in. Did you think those things were true?

Becky, Ryan, Oliver, Amelie, and Nora said...

Yeah I have heard that it is easier to put in after kids, but one of my close friends got hers put in a few months after getting married and she said it was no problem. Sara above you also had one put in with no kids. I think they are pretty expensive. Luckily we were on medicaid when I got mine put in so it was totally covered. A lot of insurances cover most of the cost though so it shouldn't be too bad. The cost is so worth it too, as long as you'll have it in a few years. You should look into what your insurance will cover. Most are happy to do it cause it insures no babies for a certain amount of time:) Good luck!

Darcey said...

becky you are so hilarious! i'm glad you shared because i think i'd like to try another form of birth control - i am just using the pill but I ALWAYS forget to take it... :-/

kelleyplus said...

I wish I would have known more about them when I was a young mother. There are many people who will thank you for this information.

Jennica said...

what?!?!? your pregnant, I need to read your blog more often...

The Johnson Journey said...

Becky, I LOVE it. And I love that you put an "Ode to the IUD". hahaha. It is the best form. This time around I had pretty bad cramps for 3 months after I had it put in, but after that, it's been fabulous. I had to pay for every penny of mine, but my doctor said that after 2 years, it equals what the pill would... so, it starts paying for itself.

Melissa (Murdoch) McKinley said...

oh, i totally agree. it's the BEST. and i was lucky to have met my deductable by having a baby that year, so my insurance paid for it... but even if they hadn't it's totally worth it. i wish they were cheaper/more accessible because i think EVERYONE who isn't trying to have a baby should have one... and then maybe people would stop having abortions.

Lant Family said...

So it doesn't have any hormones? I am thinking I will have to talk to my Dr about it after the baby. I am really sensitive to homrnones and the pill always made me sick. I used the nuvaring in between Lucy and getting pregnnat and really liked that. Can you have the IUD while nursing since there aren't any hormones?

Becky, Ryan, Oliver, Amelie, and Nora said...

Totally Heather, you can literally have in put in at your 6 week checkup after baby. You just have to make sure your getting the copper IUD not the Mirena. The Mirena does have hormones and the copper doesn't.