Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Change is real

I just had to make a comment about something that happened today that once again testifies that miracles can happen. About a month ago, a mother came into work with her three children and she was probably the most "criminal" thinker I've seen in a while. She was immediately aggressive and on the defense all the time. She would hit and slap, and demean her kids every chance she got. She was just a mean person. You could tell that she was raised with the same care. She wanted so badly to intimidate me and the other counselors but I let her know the first day she was there, that we expected more from her and she better be ready to deliver. She's also in my parenting class. Her daughter was hit the hardest. She was SO angry and would literally attack us. I have never seen a more hurt child.
So today I had a music group with the ladies. I had them write down their thoughts and feelings during a beautiful song from Meet Joe Black, some of the best composed music. I wasn't sure how they'd take it because when I'd do this in jail, mostly with the men, they would die of boredom, so sad. So I prepared them by telling them to listen hard to the song and how it made them feel, and to write it down.
After the song I asked if anyone wanted to share. So this mom rose her hand to read what she had written. She made it through half of it before she burst into tears, something I'd never seen. Here's what she wrote...
"It made me feel like I was at the ocean walking along the beach, and the waves would make me feel good inside just letting me feel magical, like free and just gasping the air watching the clouds roll by and letting the sand gush through my toes while the ocean rolls over my feet. I feel wonderful and loving the world for what it is".
I had the hardest time containing my tears and the whole room was silent. All her defenses melted and she became this beautiful woman and mother, how amazing. She has in a month tried to erase the past and change the future for her and her kids. And you know what...she's doing it. Ahhhh change is real, I love it!

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

So cool. I miss working with you and hearing these stories! It was just so amazing, wasn't it?

andrea said...

That is amazing Becky! You are such a great person, I love your big heart.

Brooke said...

i love it that you can help these women. you're amazing!

aaron and meg facer said...

That's such a great story! You really are making a difference in these women's lives!