Saturday, April 4, 2009

What is going on?

Has anyone seen the headlines lately? Seriously what is going on in the world. I usually hate it when people say the world is full of evil and sadness, like there is no good left, but tonight I'm starting to get worried. How can an individual get so far gone that they would do such horrible things to people? Actually I don't want to think about that. I remember when I taught the "Service" lesson in jail to the inmates, I would ask them what kind of difference it would make if they taught their kids to be serving and loving of everyone. They would usually say, it would make some difference. Then we'd ask ourselves, what if everyone in the world were to teach their kids to be loving and serving...what would the world look like? Wow, that made a lot of people really emotional, because then they thought, that would have made my life free of abuse, neglect, hate...all those things that helped contribute to these mistakes I've made today. And then that would have had the same domino effect on their kids who were now effected by their abuse and mistakes, who will likely go out into the world to follow a similar path. So when I see these headlines, I think of the parents and families these people came from, what went wrong, could it have been fixed? It reminds me of that quote, a nation can only rise as high as the strength of their families...or something like that:) How true that is. Will everyone finally just get that so we can live in peace and love. I really hope so. And will the news please start reporting more often on the beautiful, amazing acts of love and service done everyday. They are everywhere. Maybe that would start a whole different kind of domino effect.

2 comments:

aaron and meg facer said...

Yeah for family! Yeah for good parents! I'm going to try to be a good domino today. I hope I can knock lots of people over--in a good way, I mean.

Tiffany said...

I totally agree with everything that you wrote. Let me tell you what I have started to do, I stopped listening to the news (I watch it for the weather sometimes). I have stopped listening to talk radio and I feel much happier. I know the world is a mess out there but I do what I can to make it better and focus on my life. I feel much better and stress a lot less. I swear attitude is everything, if I can keep a good attitude and perspective then my life is a lot better. The media is so negative and from my perspective a big part of the problem. Any way, there is my input.