Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Cold Season

In my attempt this morning to find ways to keep my child well this cold and flu season I stumbled upon some more info that makes it even harder to help, no medication. Well I just read something interesting on Dr. Sears website. So we all know that the FDA banned cough and cold meds for kids under 2 because it's potentially harmful and even fatal in some cases. Last week they just extended that ban on all children under 4, and they're even looking into research of all children under 12. This stuff makes me nervous. It just reminds me even more about how dangerous it can be to medicate kids and how natural methods should be our first attempt. So here are Dr. Sears tips from his website on what to do:


Run a hot steam vaporizer
Flush stuffy noses with saline
Prop kids slightly upright to sleep better
Drink plenty of fluids
Eat chicken soup or other hot broths
Eat healthy; include fruits and vegetables in daily diet
Use honey for scratchy or sore throats (only for kids 1 year and older)
Take Sinupret for Kids (not a drug but a natural dietary supplement that supports nasal/respiratory/immune system health and function)

I also heard kinda a funny thing, I have no idea if it's true. But I heard if you rub Vick's vapor rub on your kids feet it somehow miraculously clears up their stuffy noses and relieves coughs, worth a try I guess:) And don't worry. It just barely started getting cold and Oliver is already full on sick. It's the worse in the morning, he just wanders around the house in a sad state whimpering, teary, and runny nosed. I don't know how people live in the cold. Maybe their kids immune systems are somehow rock solid. We definitely didn't get that stroke of luck in our family. And does anyone know if Echinacea works? I always give this to Oliver in child drop form and I swear it does nada for him. To top it off, his eczema is getting so much worse with the cold. What's a mom to do!

8 comments:

Malerie said...

so, echinacea is totally good to use. And yes, it works. It's best put in orange juice because mixed with vitaman c it really helps. And as a eczema child myself...aveeno oatmeal baths....wonders. And the only thing that made me not scab and bleed from itching was eucerin cream. It's super greasy but it works.

The Johnson Journey said...

I'm so sorry Ollie's sick! That sucks. Echinacea usually does work for me... You can give him Emergen-C in a bottle and he'll get a lot of Vitamin which should help as well. I've used Collodial Silver (put drops up their nose, they hate it) and it works so well! Some people might not agree, but it's saved me, Marley, Cash and Ryan already this season. I love the pumpkin pictures... Beautiful

Unknown said...

You must leave that yucky cold place and move here by me! I do have to disclose that I to have a cold even though it is 80 degrees outside. It doesn't seem as bad though when there is nice weather. Go figure.

kelleyplus said...

massaging feet is always good for the immune system according to my acupunturist wether with Vics or not. Mom

Magen said...

Becs...sorry i have no advice to prevent colds but i loved your post about Coldplay. I really get confussed by people that can't see their greatness, i'm convinced that people like that just don't know good music when they hear it. I think that album is amazing. I love when they start out with one sound and then half way through the song are playing something completely different. I am seeing them in a month- I can't wait. The most random memory about you and music popped into my head last night. It was us listening to a Third Eye Blind album and us basically confessing our love to it. I had competely forgoten about it but glad it came back to me.

andrea said...

Man....I am sorry he gets sick so much! It is so sad!! He is lucky to have such a sweet mom to nurse him back :)

I am wishing we could meet for lunch and talk about the election..music...and that naughty topic we always end up talking about :) I need someone to vent to about this stuff. I swear after my trip to Canada and seeing how Canadians view Americans, I am thinking Obama will bring the change and global acceptance we need right now. We are pretty low on the popularity chart and that is scaring me a little. I just wish more Americans cared about this election. Seriously, it is a big deal.

Amber and Lethia said...

Try Scout Out- it's made by Liquid Light. I use it with my daughter Lethia who's four but I've been using it with her since she was about one. It really helps her when she's sick. I also give her a bath with a few drops of peppermint essential oil in it on the real sick days, and that helps clear her up sometimes.

I'm so sorry Oliver is sick- he's such a cute boy! And Elder Facer has always mentioned what a wonderful boy Oliver is. *Feel better soon Oliver!*

Matt and Piper said...

Becky
I have no idea if Ollie is still sick but the vicks on the feet is amazing. My Mom in law always has a horrible cough and it takes it away so she can sleep