Sunday, March 4, 2012

Grandpa's Funeral

Grandpa was a marine that fought in the battle of Iwo Jima so these marines came to honor his grave with a flag ceremony. It was really touching and brought me to tears knowing what my grandpa went through during those times. It's strange and sad to think that a whole generation of war heroes is passing through now. I hope we honor their stories, even in the face of a world that doesn't seem to hold a lot of honor these days.
Mom with her girls

Grandpa and Grandma, back together again for eternity. I have to include this funny thing my cousin Susan said. My Uncle Phil died a few weeks before my grandpa and Susan said when he got up to Heaven, my grandma met him there and said " I asked for Bill, not Phil!". So funny because that's so my grandma. I'm sure she's glad to have them both with her now:)


Everyone is my family was able to fly out to the funeral (minus children and spouses) which made the trip so memorable. My mom instisted to my Dad that we needed a big van to ride around in like old times. It was hilarious and so much fun to stay up with my siblings like we used to and talk. Isn't family the very best thing in the world?

My Dad and Brian, the boys of the family...always outnumbered and happy to be:)

Family pic.

My sweet Aunt Kathi and her kids (minus Erin who passed away several years ago). Cathy is pretty amazing for all she's been through. The Lord sure thinks she's strong after giving her all these challenges. She said she was glad to have so many guardian angels watching over her family in heaven.

My Dad with his sister Kathi, and his step brothers and sister, David, Paul, and Sandy who were from my grandpa's first marriage before he married my grandma Dorisse.

Of course we had to stop by and see my grandma Knudsen while we were in Arizona. I think we all ended up leaving with a quilt or embroidered pillow. Classic grandma. I'm so glad that I got to see everyone and spend time with our family, especially now that we're so far away. What a gift and blessing. Love these people so much.

2 comments:

annieq84 said...

What great pictures! Those are coming to us in email form right? So good to see you all and hang out together!

Burnett Facer said...

So sorry with the passing of your grandpa. I remember him as a very kind man when I was little and I felt comfortable around him. I was not so sure about gandma coats:)