Thursday, November 6, 2008

The glories of Indian Cuisine

So anyone who knows me, knows that I am a crazy person when it comes to Indian food. My favorite dish is by far chicken tikka masala, so I went searching high and low for a recipe that would suit my taste and calm my hunger. Plus, I was so sick of having to pay like 12 bucks for a dish I could very well learn how to make. So friends, this is it. If you are already a fan, you're in luck. And if you have not yet tried it, now is the time. So drumroll....here's the recipe.


1 c. yogurt
1 tb. lemon juice
2 t. ground cumin
1 t. cinnamon
2 t. cayenne pepper
2. t ground pepper
1 tb. mined ginger
1 t. salt
3 boneless chicken breasts (cubed)


1 tb. butter
1 clove garlic, minced
1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
2 t. cumin
2 t. paprika
1 t. salt
2 tb. tomato paste
1 c. heavy cream
1/4 c. chopped cilantro


*This recipe called for a lot more salt, so I modified it, but add more if you're a salt person. Also, I would recommend if you're not a spicy sort of person, to cut the cayenne pepper in half if not more, and probably only half a jalapeno too

In a large bowl, combine all the top ingredients and add the chicken to the mix. Let refrigerate an hour covered. So the recipe says to grill the chicken on skewers, which would probably be really yummy, but I just don't have access to a grill so I just cooked them on a skillet. Just set aside cooked chicken.


Next, melt butter in large heavy skillet over medium heat, adding the garlic and jalapeno and saute for a minute. Season with 2 t. cumin, paprika, 3 t. salt. Stir in tomato paste and cream. Simmer on low heat about 20 minutes until sauce thickens. Add chicken and let simmer 10 more minutes. Garnish with cilantro. Serve over basmati rice.

*I also learned, never use smoked paprika, SO NOT the same thing. Good luck!

5 comments:

kelleyplus said...

Becky, this sounds really great! I can't wait to try it. What a clever girl. Mom

The Johnson Journey said...

We'll have to make it next time you guys come to visit... hopefully soon! PS-- Ryan's b-day is tomorrow!

andrea said...

Awesome. I love Indian food too! There is an amazing Indian restaurant in Phoenix that I miss so bad. They always have belly dancers and you sit on pillows on the floor. One time we went with Devin's sister and her family and the kids were dancing with the belly dancers. Love it! I know we always say these kinds of things to each other...because they are true...but..SERIOUSLY I wish we lived closer! I think you really were suppose to be my sister, we are too much alike. I guess cousins works too.

Amber and Lethia said...

-drool- When my food benefits come in from the county I am so making this for the new elders for dinner.

omg- I'm actually gonna cook! lol

aaron and meg facer said...

Mmmm... I want to try this one. Thanks for sharing good recipes.