Monday, September 8, 2008

the PLAYground

So does anyone else think that the playground is madness?? I have come to analyze the playground on a daily basis considering Oliver and I are there like everyday. Basically my thing is that kids should be able to play at the "play"ground. Like if he roams up and down the slide, fine he is playing and exploring. Some moms may say, slides are for sliding down, but why? Safety, I know I know, but sometimes sliding down is more dangerous:) Why does there have to be rules! A lot of moms are just constantly barking orders and warnings at their kids. Ok so I know there should be an element of teaching and safety for kids, but it doesn't have to be always. Kids need to be kids, and this means learning through play. In the parenting class we teach this method called "Child's Game". Essentially it's the idea that the kid is not controlled in their play at all. You as a parent just sit and watch, not instructing or directing the play. Kids just get to play without being taught. In fact, kids will start to direct you in their play. I have seen some moms totally lose it when their kid pushes another kid or tries to take a toy. Like sometimes I feel like if I'm not freaking out other moms are like did you just see what your child just did?! Actually Oliver usually is being picked on more than doing the picking, but even then, I know that kid is just being a kid and Oliver will probably turn right around and do the same. I played with some of Ryan's little cousins last night for like 2 hours and I just realized why I love kids so much. They are so quick to love, like as soon as they started trusting me they start holding my hand or wanting to be held. They are so honest, they don't care how things may seem, things just are. These are the kind of people I can appreciate. I love the honesty and vulnerability of kids. Aren't they just the best! And I love to rediscover how creative I can be and how fun imagining is. So anyway, my lesson today is that I always remember to let my kids be kids, and not always direct or control, although there are times I will need to teach, it doesn't have to be all the time. Here's to playing!!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

you're such a good mom =)

The Johnson Journey said...

You are such a good mom... and I agree. Cash loves climbing UP the slide and then sliding down. It's fun -- I did it. Anyway, I do love that you left 2 messages on the same blog. And I was just talking to my sister about how much I miss the Facer family. Are you guys really coming in town this weekend???!?? Please say YES! :)