Thursday, February 2, 2012

Here we are

I wish I had pictures to post but I am borrowing Austin's computer to write a little update since our house doesn't have internet. Soon enough though I'll be on here posting some glorious shots of the island:) Well we all arrived safely! And most of our stuff! (a box of my kitchen stuff busted open so I lost some of that, but it was minimal in comparison to what we got over here). Ryan started work on Tuesday and has been loving it. He is settling in very nicely and getting to know the people at work. He thinks he's made a very good first impression, I have no doubts about that. Our little rental is on the point and we can hear the waves all night long. It is heavenly. If it weren't for the commute to town we would love to camp out in Laie for a little while. I, however am not ok with my husband traveling on the bus 3-4 hours a day to get to work, yuck.

The kids and I have been gallavanting the island, exploring Kailua, Kaneohe, and Mililani to see where we might want to settle. I LOVE Kailua, but we'll see if we can find something that fits our budget and my picky taste:) I found a great spot in Mililani today, literally one of the most gorgeous neighborhoods I've ever seen. So lush and tropical, for sure a good spot. I think we'll do some ward hoping and see if we can get a feel for the different areas. It will be nice to get somewhere and settle in and make friends.

It has been fun just being off the map with my two little buddies. They got their first taste of Matsumoto's today. It was monumental. Seriously could that stuff get any tastier? I think not. And the ice cream at the bottom, wow. I have been pleasantly surprised to find that costco's prices are not as outrageous and really shopping here is pretty comparable, save a few things that are way too much money. A small price to pay for paradise:)

I'm still in the weird "I am on vacation" mode so it's a little funny to realize that yes, we really do live here. I have already met some of the nicest, most friendly people and also some of the strangest people. Hawaii is a funny place in that you can't tell if someone is a bum or just dresses super casual:) You can have some awesome people experiences on the bus. I know for sure that we will have quite an adventure here. Can't wait to see what experiences await us. Hopefully we'll be ready and waiting for them.

5 comments:

jill said...

thanks for the update! been thinking about you guys!

kelleyplus said...

Thanks for including us in on your little journey called LIFE! Can't wait to read all about everything as often as possible. We miss you though and love you very much.

The Locklins said...

I'm so happy you are there and enjoying the island. I hope you guys find a place closer to Ryan's work soon, so you can begin settling in. Enjoy the ocean. xoxo I miss you Becks.

Roney Family said...

So exciting! I cant wait to watch your adventure unfold! Miss you and I hope you get settled in and make lots of new friends.

Aaron and Meg said...

That's so da kine! You are already taking advantage and that makes me smile. We know how you feel about the "vacation mode." I think that's one of the benefits of moving somewhere new. You get those "honeymoon" phases that are so exciting. Good luck with finding a place and settling in! -- Aaron