Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day

Today at church, we had a lesson about Mary, the mother of Jesus. We talked about what kind of person she must have been to accept the calling to raise and nurture God's son. She was guessed to be between 14 and 16. Can you imagine what an amazing young women she had to be at that young age to have the faith and say yes I can do this and am willing to. I was overwhelmed with today's lesson. I have no idea why, but once I started crying, I just couldn't stop. Maybe it's because lately I have been feeling overwhelmed as a mom. Like somehow I've been failing. I realized that I have spent time complaining when really it should be spent in gratitude. Obviously we all have our moments as moms where we just need to vent and say this is a lot. But I want to spend my time laughing at those moments that are too much and dropping what I'm doing to spend time with my kids, instead of feeling inconvenienced. Honestly, what could be more important.

I couldn't believe my eyes when my little Ollie stood in front of church with the primary kids singing their mother's day song. When did he get that big and brave? And Amelie, she is talking and is showing so much personality and is so smart. She is on the brink of becoming a full fledged toddler. They truly are growing up every day and there is nothing I can do to stop it. But I can live in each moment, and participate in every step. Soon they will be teenagers and I will be saying "remember when" with tears in my eyes. The times with little ones at home can have it's challenges for sure but aren't they some of the most tender moments you'll have as a mother. I know they are.

Seriously, I thought if I had been asked what Mary was asked, I would have said outright, I am totally not cut out for this. The reality though is that I have been asked the same thing. We all have as mother's. I mean not to the extent to raise this perfect being, the savior of the world, but we have been trusted with these spiritual beings full of potential and goodness and it's our job to teach them and love them. So when I get caught up in the hard work of being a mother, I am reminded of the privilege it is to do so. And reminded that there is no other job in the world that compares to the rewards and blessings a mother receives. I hope that I can have a more grateful heart and fashion the desires of it after Mary who was the ultimate example.

I am so grateful for my mom. I honestly have no idea how she did it. Not only did she survive 7 kids in 10 years, but I do have to say, we all turned out pretty great. When I had Oliver, I remember my mom being there to help me with all my first moments as a mom and teaching me, never judging me along the way. When she left, we were both in tears as she walked out the door leaving me to figure these things out on my own. The best part is I have never felt on my own with my mom by my side. She is always there to listen and I know she had her struggles as a mom, but that makes my struggles seem so much more bearable.

I am also so thankful for my sisters and the mother's they have become and the examples they are to me. I am so thankful for the good friends I have who laugh and cry with me when things get tough. I am so honored to be apart of that sisterhood. Being a mom is all it's cracked up to be, and so much more.

Happy Mother's Day!

5 comments:

jill said...

love it.

Jen R. said...

This made me cry. I know we only knew eachother for a bit, but I feel so close to you! :) I one hundred percent feel what you're feeling.

Unknown said...

This is exactly what I needed to hear (especially because I just blog-complained about my own kid). Thank you.

The Locklins said...

I was totally in tears reading this. What a wonderful message. Motherhood is amazing. I've felt the overwhelm lately too. Mother's day reminded me that it is the best job there is in the whole world. Happy Mother's Day to you too.

kelleyplus said...

Being a mother is the greatest gift God has given us and we got to be women instead of men! We are so priveledged. I am so priveledged to be your mother too Becks. Your babies both feel so priveledged to have you as a mama. I see it in thier eyes and in thier actions toward you.
Thanks for the appreciation, it always means so much.
Mom