Monday, March 24, 2008

Have I slackened mine hand?

So this post may not be for everyone cause I will go off on just some personal thoughts that I've had lately on a few things that just seem to keep coming up. My blog is my conscience I suppose. By the way, I'll first start with saying that my trip to California with Ollie was so fun. I have never seen Oliver so pumped to be somewhere, mostly I'm sure because he had CONSTANT attention. He was happy almost the entire time and loves his family. But he did miss his dad back at home, as I did. I have a habit of walking around the rose bowl at home, I just love it. There is a million different type of people there. Everyone is so happy to be outside, taking care of their bodies and minds. There's amazing energy there. And Oliver about died at all the dogs being walked, he is definitely a Kelley in that department. Anyways, towards the end of our walk I noticed a homeless man standing behind a minivan looking at the window. It took me a minute to realize what he was looking at. You know those stickers people put on the back of their cars showing their family, like the dad, mom, 3 kids, and a dog. He was standing looking at this. I was struck with this extremely sad sinking feeling in my heart. I often think about those on the streets, people without homes. Once upon a time they were this tiny new, smiling baby. And whether they came into arms that loved them, they were sent from those arms that dearly loved them more than anyone else could. What went so wrong? Who hurt them in the process? I always asked this to myself working at the jail. My bishop sent an email that really hit home. He basically said anyone can give out a dollar, its so easy. But would you take that person, give them a meal, make sure they have a place to stay, and then above all, check back on them. Then he asked what the most important word in the gospel is, and to me, that is, no doubt, LOVE. Last night I was reading in Jacob 5, about the master and his vineyard. It just hit me so hard that these people in our world who are sad or angry or hurting, or alone, could be like those branches and roots. If we but care for and love and feed and nourish, what an amazing thriving vineyard we could have. I am reading this book, 3 cups of Tea, about this amazing man who stopped just giving a dollar. He was in Afganistan in a remote village with no school for the children there. He made it his job to get a school to those kids. Basically the idea is, if we were to put all that money that we use for a war into education and giving others opportunity, what could the world be like. And don't get me wrong, I am not anti-war but I believe it should be one of the last resorts. Let's say instead of attacking others, we put ourselves in their shoes and think, what have you missed along the path that makes you feel this way. Like in Afganistan, these young kids were put into a war they didn't understand because it was their only choice between poverty and "opportunity". If they were given education and confidence to know their own worth, the possibilities are endless. I relate this to teaching parenting. Sometimes it seems as if some kids were just born "naughty" or "bad". Look at what they're not getting, what they may have come from. Most of the time, we all just want to be loved. In a work meeting about a month ago, my boss told us all how she came about establishing Promise. Promise for those of you who don't know, is an organization formed to love and nurture mother's into breaking out of their unhealthy chemical addictions and start taking responsibility for their lives, and the lives of their children. She was told the story of a woman who all her life had been told she wasn't worth anything, she was ugly, she was stupid. But when she'd go to her grandmother's house, her grandmother would give her a bath, brush her hair, dress her in clean clothes. She said only then did she feel like a woman of promise, because someone believed that she was. So here I am making a goal to myself that crying for someone does not put food in their belly, because I really do this. Now it sounds so shameful. As if welling up with tears as I pass by someone who is homeless really helps their situation. I actually think the best thing I did lately is to tell a homeless man I was talking to to please quit smoking. But you know, it's because I thought his life was worth living, but did he? I truly do love people and I am making that as of now, an action. I'm not a genius, not rich, but you know what, I am good at loving people. I can do that.

8 comments:

andrea said...

Becky I totally get what you are saying. I am the same way, I cry all the time if I see someone like that, or watch a certain story on the news, or hear a song about someone. Anything about the holocaust and I loose it. I feel such a strong love for people, I've always been that way. And the frustrating thing is I can't figure out how to do more! Other than donating money or volunteering. We should start a non-profit organization :) I love everything you said...you are such a sweet girl.

Jared said...

Awesome! You're amazing. Those Facer boys choose right. I'm glad your trip to Cali was so fun :)

See you guys soon...? Conference weekend? (I'll be down)

Lindsay said...

Beks, I am so glad those girls at Promise have you. Your post about had me in tears. And I totally understand you because I feel the same way. I love people, and I want them to feel some of the happiness I have been lucky enough to experience. I STILL miss the jail SO much. I felt so good there, like even if I wasn't as effective as I wanted to be, I could at least love all of them. When I worked there, I finally understood how people could get up in church at testimony meeting and say, "I love you all". (I used to think, 'What??? No you don't, you dont' even know me!') I miss you!

{Elyse} said...

Becky! Hey my sister told me that you had a blog...so I thought I would check it out! I haven't seen you guys for so long and I can't believe that our babies are already 1! Oliver is so cute, and grown up...I love it!

The Winsteads said...

Interesting post. I'm currently reading Les Miserables and it touches on this topic a lot. You should definitely check it out if you haven't already. I'm sure you would agree with a lot of the themes in that book. It was also a real eye opening experience for me when I worked at that Mental Health Facility in Pasadena. I learned a lot about the people that we typically see on the streets and the psychological issues they have that are out of their control. A lot of times they truly do represent and present opportunities to help people who can't help themselves.

Tiffany said...

What great thoughts, thanks for sharing. I have felt that way so many times when I have seen a lonely old man or a homeless person. You are so right, feeling sorry for them isn't helping their situation. I do think that times like those are also times to reflect on how truly blessed we are...so blessed that we should share what we can.

I am going back to work on April 8th and I think I have gotten out of the teaching, helping, loving mode (for them, that is). I needed your thoughts to help me remember that I can make a difference in others lives, even if that means I will have to leave my baby sometimes (which might just kill me). But at least I have one of those jobs that gives me the opportunity to help people.

Brooke said...

K when I saw this i was serioulys like, Bets are you serious right now - so long, but it's totally you and it was very true what you said. We all need to help a little more. love you!

Russ and Loni Lamm said...

Becky you are so sweet and thoughtful. I wonder how the world would be if everyone were like you!