Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Queen Mary, Lars, and so much more...

So last night Ryan and I got away for a bit, sans baby, and stayed in Long Beach. So we both had never been to the Queen Mary and my dad had two tickets so we thought it was worth a try. We brought some beach cruisers from my house and so we rode those across the bridge, on to the Queen Mary. It was pretty cool, but honestly a little dissapointing. I was expecting like Titanic type luxury and class and it is just so commercialized now with all it's shops and a hotel. But still fun, since we didn't have to pay for it:) And the bike ride was way fun. I didn't know it was used so much in WWII to ship the soldiers and their families to their destinations, I thought that was pretty cool. And the city of Long Beach bought it for only like 3.5 million, that's like a house!!! You know they made that back in no time.


So that night we saw the greatest movie, Lars and the Real Girl. It was so our kind of movie, I can see how it wouldn't be for everyone but that just makes me sad for those people that can't understand something so sweet and beautiful. It literally touched my heart and reminded me of the kindness and graciousness of people.

And Ryan Gosling did such an amazing job playing that character, he really should win something for his performance. Sometimes I think, seriously how hard can acting be, they get so much credit for nothing. But his performance makes you appreciate how someone can put their whole heart and soul into what they're doing and it makes it all so believable and worthwhile. And it had zero drama, it was just so nice to watch. Anyways, see it if you're a kindred kind of soul, if you don't know what that means, you're probably not.

Then we went to Outback which was Ryan's first experience and it was sadly dissapointing, too bad. But Ryan got the Onion blossom which was what he was most excited about and enjoyed every bit of it's fried, crunchy, goodness. Our meal earlier at El Pollo Loco was a thousand times better:) Why doesn't Utah have one yet, really? Such a pity.

So overall it was a glorious night of hot tubs, food, movies, sleep, not sleep:), and just hanging out that was so needed after so much baby time. It was my first night away from Oliver, and it was perfect timing. I think any earlier would have been too early for me. It was nice to leave and feel ready, not sad. It was a perfect getaway and it was so nice to come back and see Ollie's face light up at our return. Honestly, we both missed him sooo much, but sometimes you miss each other too! Good to know we still got it babe!

2 comments:

andrea said...

Becky! I am glad you found my blog too! I just started it a couple months ago....still new to it. Your date sounds fun! Devin loves the Onion Blossom too....that made me laugh. Oliver is so cute! He is so much bigger now, I wish I could have talked to you more when we were in California, but we kind of crashed your party... sorry about that! Happy Thanksgiving!! I miss all you Kelly cousins :)

Lindsay said...

Sounds like SO much fun. Back in Cali, even better right? Funny how a trip to Utah can make me miss it all over again (your thinking, miss Utah???). It's not UTAH, and I'm sure it's not just CALIFORNIA, it's the family and friends. Not that we don't LOVE our friends in New York...

Isn't it fun to get some Hubby-time? It was wierd, the other day we left Jack with my parents for a few hours. Tay and I were holding hands, and I thought, "wow, this is nice". We have been focusing so much on the baby lately, and we are used to just focusing on each other. Good for you, I'm glad you got away with each other.

I haven't ever heard of the Lars movie, I'll have to look it up.