Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Faith

Recently, some friends of ours from Aliso Viejo lost their sweet 17 month old to a drowning accident.  As I've been following their process of grief on facebook, I have been so touched by their faith in Heavenly Father's plan for each of us.  I think that I would melt into utter and complete despair.  Seriously.  I don't know how they are doing it.  Actually I do.  Heavenly Father is comforting thier way towards understanding for this sad and tragic situation.  I remember one of Courtney's first posts after her son's death was "I know there is a God.  Max has gone to Heaven.  Please pray his organs will bless many children and save lives". 

A few days ago, Courtney's husband posted the details about his passing (below).  What struck me the most in his words was that if given the chance, they would not change anything that day.  I can't imagine what kind of faith it takes to trust and know that Heavenly Father had a plan for Max and he had fulfilled it in his short 17 months of life and this was his way of returning home.  My first thought would have been, what could I have done?  How could I have prevented this?  But you know what, I am not in charge.  None of us are.  I am working on having the kind of faith I need to face a trial like this if one ever comes.  I was just impressed to include this in my blog to always remind myself that faith is the answer.  Thank you Courtney and Gordon for your immense love for your little one and the understanding that only can come from our Heavenly Father.  I have been so touched this week thinking of little Max.  We love you guys and are praying for you constantly.    

"Max had been playing with trains with his brother and uncle in a toy room near a common area of our vacation home in Capistrano Beach. He was noticed missing for only a few short minutes, in which time he was able get out a locked door and into the hot tub, which is one of his favorite places in the back yard. When he was found, all efforts were made to revive him until the ambulance arrived, and the efforts continued in the nearby hospital . Max’s beautiful spirit never returned to his body, and surely he has been embraced by loving arms on the other side. Courtney and I have made all necessary efforts to keep our children safe and will continue to make the same efforts. We know that this tragedy was not the result of our shortcomings. Sometimes, despite all of our preparation and precautions, accidents occur. Given the chance to live out that day again, we would have not done anything differently.

I was a witness to a miracle at the hospital, where after over 25 minutes of no activity, Max’s heart was revived. His heart has worked tirelessly to preserve all of his organs and tissue (far beyond the estimation of the doctors). Max will bless many lives with his contributions to others as an organ donor.

Max has been such a blessing in our lives and we are so grateful for the 17 months that we were able to share with him. We know that he will continue to be with us and will be present in our lives as a support in future challenges. He has been a special friend to his brother and will never fail to fulfill his role as Jaxton’s constant companion.

Max – We love you!"

3 comments:

Brent and Nicole said...

Oh my goodness! I have nightmares of something like that happening to Lincoln and I don't know if I could be that strong...what a great example of faith. Thanks for sharing and I hope and pray that family receives the comfort and love they need to get through this time

Unknown said...

My heart is breaking. To be honest I don't think I have that much faith, or perspective that soon after. What a wonderful family.

Courtney said...

I could barely read this story. Sadie fell in my sister's hot tub last friday night. We saw her fall in and ran and plucked her out but I had a serious panic attack and could not stop thinking about what could have been her drowning. she's 14 months old. i don't know how they are doing it.