Tuesday, May 18, 2010

"When I grow up I want to be a pro surfer"

Check out Ryan freshman year at BYU-Hawaii

Ryan has a shirt with these words written on it and everytime I see it, I think about this guy, the aspiring north shore beach bum who's only concern in the world is what board he will pick for what wave he will ride. If Ryan had a secret life outside of his own, this would be it. Actually he does have a secret life but it is quite literally in his dreams. He wakes up 4 days out of the week telling me of dreams spent in Hawaii in the ocean. I sometimes wonder if it's God's gift as if to say, I know you are working hard and providing for your family like a good man, taking the high road even if it's hard sometimes, here's a dream or two to get you through the work week, or even just the day. Sometimes I think it's insane how much a man/father/husband has to give up to become a "provider". Even though being a mom has it's moments of craziness, it's no where near the pressure these guys feel. Hmmmm, so that's why Dad's are heroes. Lately a slogan in our house is "Work sucks", yeah ungrateful maybe, but real. All we want to do it spend time together and it's sad realizing that you spend way more time apart than together. There is something seriously wrong with that. So it's been hard but I want to remind my beach bum surfing husband at heart that I love him and the fact that he works hard and does his job as a father and husband with love and kindness, instead of complaining about a life he could have had on a beach in a hut, with a little less baggage. One day babe and when that day comes, we'll all join you. Now that sounds like a dream.

5 comments:

andrea said...

Ohh....I know what you mean. I remember when Devin worked 9-5 and had to drive way back to our house out in the middle of nowhere and I felt like I never saw him. At least he can get to the beach in 15 minutes! I need to call you, those renters fell through so we are back to trying to rent the house. BOOOO. But keep praying for it! It will happen, because we are going to MAKE it happen!!

The Winsteads said...

Poor Ryan. You'll be in Hawaii before you know it! Love you guys
-Re

Becky, Ryan, Oliver, Amelie, and Nora said...

comment moderation?

Becky, Ryan, Oliver, Amelie, and Nora said...

ok why isn't comment moderation working...lame

Darcey said...

so true - i need to send this post to scott and say "hey love, THIS is how I feel" because you worded it perfectly and heaven knows i really suck at letting scott know i appreciate him working a crappy job for us :)