Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Akamai means Smart








We finally got around to taking some pics of us with our Smart reunion shirts on and the pics were just too funny not to post.  Plus anytime I actually remember to take pictures, I need to blog it because I feel like I'm forgetting a lot these days.  We also learned that our street name Akamai means "smart" in Hawaiian.  Who knew?!  Our little home was meant to be:) 

Ollie is still hitting the books hard at school.  Well as much as a kindergartner can.  His teacher seems very patient and consistent which is great for Ollie considering he's got a lot of energy and can be emotional too.  It's an adjustment for sure but I'm hoping after this second week, things will start to go smoother.  We started a sticker chart for improving behavior and listening at school so he is working up to taking Karate lessons.  She did mention that his art was above and beyond anyone in class and that it's very hard to rush him when he's not done.  I can imagine:)  I love that little boy so much and miss him a lot, wondering what he's doing at school, who he's making friends with, and if he's being a good example.  His best friend so far is this little boy Hunter who is so sweet and they are currently fighting over the affections of a little girl named Lily.  Seriously.  Oliver has told me about this "beautiful" girl in his class and then proclaimed he would marry her one day.  Oh boy.  Then Hunter told me the same thing.  Today when I picked Ollie up, he said that Lily told him she would marry him.  He was pretty stoked.  I bet Lily is telling Hunter the same and playing the field.  Smart girl.   It's still early on and she's gotta have options:) 

Amelie is my sweet little buddy during the day.  We pretty much do all the same stuff we did before but just on a more laid back basis.  Ami is more of an independent player than Ollie and is pretty content, where Ollie would be telling me he is bored and what next.  We grabbed a slice of pizza today for lunch and I could tell she was thinking, I could get used to this.  She keeps saying, "I love you mom" and wrapping her chubby arms around me.  I can't resist that girl.  She is out of control.  She is starting ballet class tomorrow which she is thrilled about.  Pictures soon to come I'm sure.  They even have a recital.  I will die.  Next week she is starting joyschool that I'm doing with some several friends.  I'm hoping to volunteer in Ollie's class while Ami is at school a couple hours a week.  

Ryan is as amazing as ever.  Seriously there is nothing that man won't do to make me and the kids happy.  He is the most thoughtful person I know.  Work is going well and he's hoping for a promotion before the new year, so just working towards that.  He is teaching the youth at church which is perfect for him.  He can relate to them so well and they think he is the coolest.  He is always a missionary and always teaching me how better to be.  We had the missionaries over for dinner and they were telling us about all these opportunities to serve and help and we were pumped.  They were like, we can always count on the Facers!  I'm so proud to be a family who wants to serve the Lord and his children first.  It's the best. 

I love my calling in Relief Society and getting to know all the sisters at church.  Our ward is the most humble ward.  People talk freely and openly about their challenges, never fearing of judgement.  I am amazed by the examples I get to see all the time and I find myself being refined into this person I always hoped I could be.  I always tell Ryan, I feel like myself in Hawaii.  I feel like I'm better.  Nothing beats the people.  Now we just need to convince our families to move so they can feel the Hawaiian love too.  Work is going well.  I have 3 clients lined up for Aug, Sept, and Oct.  I haven't done a birth in so long I can't wait to get back into it!  We also have visitors lined up for the next few months which is so fun!  We love visitors.  I have made some really amazing friends and there always seems to be something going on.  We live outside all day long and come home to sleep in our beds:)  Just the way life should be.  I am soaking in this phase in life.  When I hear more seasoned moms to tell me to enjoy it cause it doesn't last, I really focus on that.  I know already how fast my kids are growing and I'm desperately trying to slow time down.  Every night when we put them to bed, I tell them they are loved, they are smart, they are kind, they are anything they can be.  I think that maybe if I tell them who they are every night, they'll never forget.       

6 comments:

andrea said...

I love it!! Am I one of the "seasoned moms" that tells you that all the time!!! haha. So glad to know you guys & love your great examples. I miss you so much & am glad you are making lots of friends & loving it there. They are just as lucky to have you.

The Locklins said...

You are such a beautiful mom and family. I'm so happy that you are feeling the love in Hawaii and soaking up so many wonderful memories. I too feel the time going fast and want to slow it down. I'm sending you lots of love.

annieq84 said...

What a wonderful update! I love getting to hear what my favorite little facer family is up to! I wish we were one of the families visiting this fall!

Brooke said...

You make me want to be better. I miss you :(

Misti said...

Becky, what a cute family you have!! How does time go so fast? I love that you still blog, we are a small group now!!

jill said...

you are such a good mom becky. i cant wait to come play hawaiian style with you guys.