Monday, July 5, 2010

An injury, a birthday, and the fourth!

Saturday morning we went looking for surf but unfortunately there was none to be found. We headed to San Clemente to get some Rainbow Sandals for my Dad's birthday at the outlet and then decided to go and hit the state beach for some skim boarding and sun soaking. On Ryan's first wave he came back in with a deep cut on his cheek. His board had come up and sliced him across the face and was bleeding pretty bad. He headed over to the lifeguard station where they cleaned him up and told him to head to the hospital because he probably needed stitches.

Ryan's thoughts were as follows:
First, great, now we have to leave the beach and we just got here.
Second, if I get stitches they're not going to let me surf for a while.
Third, we have a to pay a hundred bucks to go the the ER.
Fourth, now we are going to waste a perfectly good Saturday sitting at the hospital.

My thoughts were as follows:
Your face is sliced open and bleeding profusely. We should probably do something about that soon. I don't care if it takes time or costs money.
That it was cool that Ryan got such a great battle wound and why wasn't he more excited. I wish it were me.
That this battle wound might end up looking kinda hot. Ryan was excited about this prospect.
And I secretly thought that if they didn't let him get in the water for a while, I might get my husband on Saturday mornings. Selfish? Yeah, sorry babe. (He only has to wait 5 days so no harm done).
So yeah, we called Jill for directions to the nearest hospital, dropped Oliver off with his uncle Jon (can you imagine 2+ hours with Ollie at the ER, thanks Jon) and six stitches later Ryan was repaired. Ryan still says it hasn't hurt once. He's super tough.
Then my family came for the afternoon to celebrate my Dad's birthday. We went swimming, ate dinner at Ruby's in Laguna, classic Kelley family tradition, and had a darling cake my mom brought. Oliver loves celebrating birthdays and especially singing the birthday song. He couldn't resist helping grandpa blow his candles out.

The next day we celebrated the fourth by going to church and then eating a yummy summertime dinner.
Then we walked to Grand Park in Aliso for the festivities and fireworks. I was surprised at how great the show was considering Aliso is a small town. The music was great and the crowd was roaring. I had a few tear up moments as I thought about my blessings. Oliver loved the fireworks and Ami wasn't completely sure what she thought. Good thing she has those fingers. Both kids crashed on the walk home. It was a very successful fourth of July.

7 comments:

Lant Family said...

cute pictures, bummer about the injury and hospital visit.

kelleyplus said...

I love your pics Becks. The one with Oliver blowing out the candles before Dad is priceless. I also love the one of all of us with dad on his b-day. I'm so happy you guys are within driving distance. I wish more were near!
Love You-
Mom

aaron and meg facer said...

Sweet Ami--I love her finger shots! Becks, you look hot in the picture with the 4 of you! And great shot of Ollie laughing. Tica and I can't wait to see you guys in August!

The Johnson Journey said...

I love it! Of course Ryan wouldn't want to leave the beach with a gash on his face... of course. Cute pictures, as always. :)

Brooke said...

can we please hang out soon!?

Amanda said...

oh you guys are just too cute. i love amis fingers in her mouth. i'm so excited that we get to see you guys next month! i can't wait to visit. and that cake is gorgeous! i love it.

Lindsay said...

You are too cute for your own good my dear...